The Kaleidoscope Gathering Policy on Sexual Harassment
While the Kaleidoscope Gathering does not presume to prohibit mutually accepted, affectionate gestures nor to govern the acts of consenting adults in private: SEXUAL HARASSMENT HAS NO PLACE AT THE KALEIDOSCOPE GATHERING AND IS NOT TOLERATED!
Peace of mind regarding physical safety is important for women, men and (particularly) children. The freedom to go skyclad (naked) is restricted to the designated firepit(s) at night and at your own campsite, if your campsite is in a secluded area that not visible to the public. In keeping with the standards of the surrounding community we ask that there be no nudity (including toplessness for women) on the beach area. The Kaleidoscope Gathering expects its members and guests to treat each other, the community and our neighbours, with dignity and respect.
- persistent staring, stalking or following;
- voyeuristic positioning;
- crowding of personal space;
- masturbation, other sexual acts or displays;
- any aggressive acts or threatening body language;
- unauthorised photography; and/or
- any videography.
- any unwanted advances, remarks, suggestions, solicitations, propositions, gestures, threats, ridicule, innuendo or comments of a crude, racial, homophobic or sexual nature;
- persistent attempts to engage another person in clearly undesired conversation; and/or
- unsolicited comments about a person’s body or genitalia.
- any presumptuous touching of another persons’ body without their consent (including hugs, massages or other familiarities);
- any intentional touching of a minor without parental consent; and/or
- ANY public fondling of a sexual nature or public sexual act.
The Kaleidoscope Gathering staff and guests are urged to help maintain our relaxed, family-friendly atmosphere by reacting, in a timely manner, to any situation they feel is unacceptable by the above definitions. If possible, make your disapproval or unease known as soon as possible to the person who offended you, in an attempt to resolve the situation. If the behaviour persists or if you do not wish to speak with that person, bring it to the attention of one of the executive organizers (Maryanne Pearce or Austin Lawrence) or the head of the festival’s security team (Badger Jones). Complaints will be responded to and investigated without delay. Confidentiality is always respected (except where it cannot be due to criminal prosecution or other legal requirements).
Sexual harassment, as defined above, can result in immediate expulsion from the Kaleidoscope Gathering, revocation of memberships and/or the privilege of attending this (or, at the discretion of other festival organizers, other festivals) and, where warranted, could lead to criminal prosecution.
The safety and security of festival goers is of prime importance to the Kaleidoscope Gathering.